Single Origin Venezuelan Chocolate and Hazelnut Terrine
Print this page
Rosemary tangerines and tobacco ice cream*
*bold indicates infused
Crunchy Base (Bottom)
- 4 oz. Hazelnuts (toasted and ground)
- 1 oz. Corn flakes or Special K
- 3 oz. Chocolate Chips
- 1 oz. Butter
- 1 oz. Cream
- In a double broiler melt the chocolate, butter and cream
- Mix in the nuts and cereal
- Spread the mixture over a parchment lined 11 x 9 inch non-stick pan and allow to harden in the freezer.
- 8 oz. 60-70% Chocolate
- 1 oz. Butter
- 8 oz. Cream
- 1.5 oz. Coffee
- 1 oz. Sugar
- 1/2 each Vanilla Bean (split)
- 1/4 each Cinnamon Stick
- 1 oz. Port Wine
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream, coffee, sugar, vanilla bean and cinnamon stick to a boil
- Pour the mixture over chocolate and butter and let it sit for 2 minutes
- Gently whisk until the chocolate has melted and is smooth
- Remove the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick and then whisk in the port wine
- Allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes at room temperature
- Pour the ganache over the chocolate base and return to the freezer.
- 5 oz. 60 - 70% Chocolate
- 1/2 oz. Butter
- 3 each Egg Yolks
- 3 each Egg Whites
- 1 oz. Sugar
- 1/2 oz. Port
- 4 oz. Cream
- Over a double boiler, let the chocolate and butter melt together
- Separate the egg yolks and the whites
- In a separate bowl whip the whites with half of the sugar until you've formed a medium peak. Place it in the fridge.
- Whip the cream with the other half of the sugar and place in the fridge.
- Whisk the port into the egg yolks, then temper in the melted chocolate until smooth.
- Slowly fold in the cream and then fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the mousse over the top of ganache and return to the freezer.
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 12 sprigs rosemary
- 4 tangerines, peeled and segmented
- Mix the sugar and the water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Once all the sugar has melted, simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes, then remove from heat and add the rosemary.
- Let this steep for about 30 minutes, then remove the rosemary and cool.
- Once cool, pour over tangerine segments.
- This can be kept in a jar or airtight container for 2 to 3 weeks and can be muddled into cocktails, used as garnish for grilled meats or fish, or tossed into a salad.
Tobacco Ice Cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 pods black cardamom
- a few gratings of cinnamon
- 1 small mild Cuban cigar
- 1 vanilla bean
- In a saucepan combine 1 cup of the cream with one cup of milk and ¾ cups sugar
- Heat gently while stirring occasionally, until frothy bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and add the whole black cardamom pods, the contents of the cigar, and cinnamon.
- Using a small knife scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and add the seeds and empty pod to the cream mixture.
- Cover and infuse for one hour.
- Meanwhile, lightly beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Rest a smaller bowl in this ice bath and pour the remaining 1 cup of cream into the smaller bowl to chill it.
- After you've allowed some time for the infusion to settle, re-warm the cream mixture until frothy bubbles again appear around the edge.
- Dribble about half of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Then pour this yolk-cream mixture back into the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Cook over low heat until the custard is nape on the back of a spoon.
- Stir constantly, careful to not scramble the egg mixture.
- Now, strain the hot custard into the cold cream. Push firmly on the cigar to extract the liquid it holds.
- Cool the custard mixture by stirring it slowly over the ice bath.
- Refrigerate the custard in a sealed container for 4 hours.
- If you have an ice cream maker follow the manufacturers instructions. If you don't have an ice cream maker, freeze the custard for an hour, and then mix it with a stick blender.
- Return to the freezer for an hour, then mix again. If not serving with Simon's chocolate terrine, try enjoying it with a glass of your favorite bourbon.
Serve the chocolate terrine with 3-4 pieces of the tangerines layered across the top of it and a scoop of the Tobacco ice cream on the side.